The Township of Pompey, named for the outstanding Roman General and statesman, was established by the Commissioners of the Land Office in New York City on July 3, 1790. In 1794 Onondaga County was formed and Pompey was one of the original four Towns - Lysander, Manlius, Marcellus and Pompey.
The Town of Pompey Historical Society was established in 1976 as a result of the United States Bicentennial Celebration. The Town of Pompey Bicentennial Committee had planned two weeks of activities to celebrate this memorable occasion. The committee wanted to have lasting tributes after July 1976. It was decided that organizing an historical society and writing and publishing a two volume book (Pompey, Our Town in Profile) would accomplish that goal.
Sylvia Shoebridge holding the 2 volume book
Sylvia is the former Pompey Town historian
and author of Pompey, Our Town in Profile
(available for purchase in the PHS store)
- 90th Birthday Reception and Celebration
See our on-line calendar for program and event dates and times.
We will again be holding our Election Day Bake Sales on
Tuesday, November 7th
9:00 am to 3:00 pm
at 3 sites: Pompey Town Hall, Eastern Hills (on Enders Rd.),
and Delphi Falls Firehouse.
This is a major fundraiser for us and contributions are welcome.
Contact Gail Moreland at (315)-263-2678 if you would like to help out.
We now have in our store two books by Jerry Antil (Jerome Mark Antil), a Fabius native, that reminisce and lend historical/social perspective of life in the Town of Pompey "back in the day":
The Pompey Hollow Book Club, and The Book of Charlie. The latter is a sequel which reflects on early childhood observations and subsequent developments - a contemplation for us all.
New page created for the sesquicentennial of the Civil War in 1863