Town of
Pompey Historical Society

    Established 1976

 

Our Campus

William G. Pomeroy Museum and Research Center


The William G. Pomeroy Research Center
and Museum established in 2003

 

      The William Pomeroy G. Pomeroy Research Centter and Museum is a circa 1830 farm house that houses a museum collection overseen by the Pompey Historical Society and a research center focused on on the history of the town of  Pompey.  Funding for this facility was provided by grants from the NYS legislature, CNY Community Foundation, Norcross Wildlife foundation, Rosamond Gifford Foundation, Wells Fargo Foundation, fundraising efforts, donations from local supporters and William G. Pomeroy
      Bill's family has strong roots in the Town of Pompey.  When he began his research and inquiries he found the Town Historian, Sylvia Shoebridge, to be of inestimable help.  Thanks to her assistance to him and Bill's philanthropic generosity we were able purchase the current museum.

 
elphi -this pretty village in the south-east corner of the town has wonderfully improved within the last ten years, in all that tends to the progress of society. The streets are fine and the sidewalks first rate. The ladies of this place, whose energies are only exceeded by their beauty, have, with commendable zeal, raised money enough to purchase plank, and have laid sidewalks over the entire village. This example might be followed with a great degree of credit by nine tenths of the villages in the county.
 Pomeroy - Coe Heritage Center

      The Pomeroy Coe Heritage Center holds the Jerome Rooms, circa 1815, the ORIGINAL REMNANTS, of an early building in Pompey.

      There are also numerous early agricultural equipment and tools from the 19th century.  Due to it's size it also houses several PHS functions.

      This facility was funded  by William G. Pomeroy and grants awarded by Sen. John D. Francisco and Assemblyman Jeff Brown.

                 

    Pomeroy Coe Heritage Center

    
One Room Schoolhouse
  


       

   Pompey One Room Schoolhouse
   circa 1857 - as it stands now 
having been recently restored.

 

Below is an original circa 1880's educational flip chart and a digitally reproduced one for viewing

 

      Common School District No. 6 in 1826 became District No. 10 and was known as the Pompey Center School.  The schoolhouse was located on Lot 42 on the north side of the State Road or Cherry Valley Turnpkie at Pompey Center Road east of the Methodist Church.  In 1898 the south portion of District No. 14 was added to the Pompey Center District when the Cobblestone School District on the Gulf Road was closed.  (See teacher index)           
      The building was probably built in 1857, a frame structure typical of schoolhouses of the time which had been preserved by the Pompey Center Memorial Association.  The Association turned the building over to the Town of Pompey in 1973.  Repairs and painting were accomplished in 1974 and 1975.  In 1976 the Town gave the property to the newly formed Pompey Historical Society to be used as a meeting place.    
       We had our grand  reopening on Sunday, August 12, 2012 from 2:00 - 4:00 pm!   Click here for a photo gallery.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright 2018