One Room Schoolhouse
We are thrilled to announce the grand reopening of our refurbished 1857 One-Room Schoolhouse on the campus of the Pompey Historical Society (located at the corner of NYS
Routes 20 and Pompey Center Rd). The slide show below takes you through a brief tour of the facility (click on the picture to enlarge, then click on it again to return to the gallery) - descriptions are below;
1) Wide-angle view of renovated schoolhouse and outhouses
2) Gail Moreland, President of the Pompey Historical Society (PHS), and Carole Marsh, Town Supervisor, address the crowd at the Opening Ceremony - over 80 people attended.
3) Ruth Hotaling, PHS Historian, prepares for "class" while Sue Zarins documents with pictures.
4) A visiting father hoists his daughter up so she can ring the bell!
5) The newly refinished floor prior to opening with wood stove and teacher podium.
6) A cut-out section of the wall showing original lathe and plaster construction.
7) An original teacher's flip chart and digitally refurbished one for viewing - come see how students of all ages were taught back in the day!
8) Newly refinished desks of all sizes representing original classroom setting.
9) Old time "drinking fountain" along with books and other teaching tools.
10) Nancy Edwards greets Senator Dave Valesky.
11) Collection of photographs of other historic one-room schoolhouses in Pompey.
These pictures are just a small representation of what there is to see inside the Schoolhouse. Please feel free to contact us and make an appointment to see it in person!